Thursday, October 19, 2006

Watches and the Spirit

Ever since I was little, I have had a bad habit of losing my watches very easily. I remember getting a watch as a Christmas present when I was eight years old and losing the watch about two weeks later. My parents never bought me another watch again.

Over the years, I have had a couple more watches since then, and I've managed to keep them for more than two weeks (one I even kept until it broke beyond repair.) But the stigma of being a constant watch loser never left me - in the minds of my parents and myself, I would lose a watch very quickly if I didn't watch out.

This past summer, my sister went to Korea and as a gift for me, bought me a watch. I was pleasently surprised, and yet cautious about where I put it, when i took it off and took special note of wherever I put it. Sometimes I wouldn't even take it to school for fear that I would take it off at some point (the feeling of a watch on my wrist feels foreign to me and I jiggle with it) and then forget to put it back on. Today I regretted this particular paranoia as I had to write a midterm and was without a time piece to make sure that I was on track with my time. Although I was fine, and nobody minded me using my cellphone as a watch, I know that such a tactic cannot last as a long term solution.

As I was thinking about this, I began to think about my spiritual walk with God. Now, I'm not really in fear of "losing" my faith... instead what I find myself doing is leaving it on the wayside feeling that I don't need it or have alternate methods of making it through my day (having a watch vs. using my cellphone) and then suddenly a day comes along where I should really be equipped with the Word to fight off temptation or to really be a witness for the Lord, and I'm just not prepared.

I forgot to bring my watch as it were, and I got caught not knowing the time of day, nor being able to give it to someone else.

1 Comments:

Blogger jelibeenz said...

wow... good post :)

9:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home