Sunday, September 10, 2006

Going to church

I know this is going to sound weird, but this Sunday was the first Sunday in a while that I went to church and left saying "I enjoyed that and want to go back."

I went to the college service for YoungNak Presbyterian Church today, and it was really good. Standard worship service format, but the praise was excellent, the message was solid, and the people there seem to be pretty cool.

What I've really missed in a church for these past three years is a praise team that was really excited about worshipping God (which this praise team really was), and a group of people my age. The church that I've been going to for the past three years is a really small church split, and the entire EM (as they're called in Korean churches - English Ministry) is a bunch of high school kids, 3/4 of which don't acutally even speak english all that well. That's not to say that they're not awesome kids... they just never get excited about things the way that I do. And so being the only one that seemed visibly excited about anything, it was draining always trying to convince them to do things or go places. They've come a long way, but now I'm just so tired and discouraged that I can't see myself staying at the church. It's become relatively self sustaining in that finally students are stepping up to leadership roles and such, but they're is nobody my age with whom I can really connect, share, and develop friendships.

I realized that for the past three years I've been craving not only solid Christian fellowship (which I have been receiving from Campus for Christ for which I am eternally grateful) but I've also been missing fellow Korean companionship. I realized that the number of friends my age that are Korean have seriously dwindled as I lost contact with all my friends from my old church, Westside.

I don't know if that sounds super ethnocentric or something, but it's the bald plain truth.

3 Comments:

Blogger I love yellow said...

I really don't think that is ethnocentric. I think it's just normal and if it,s the truth, then whatever. Yeah church has been a hard thing for me since I came back from Africa actually. Maybe it is because we used to have church under a mango tree you know...but I have found it hard to get to know people at church...anyways...it's something I am working on, and will continue to struggle with but I start to realise it is what you put in it that you will be able to to get out of it!

8:53 a.m.  
Blogger jelibeenz said...

hmm, so when I was little I thought the idea of going to a not-Chinese church was really weird, since all I ever knew growing up was Chinese churches. and then I thought the idea of a Chinese church with an English ministry was weird. but now I realize that no matter how oxymoronic that sounds, English ministries at Chinese churches are important since, as somewhat bi-cultural yet not totally fitting in either culture and thus making up our own sub-culture of bananas, we have issues that affect us that wouldn't be addressed in a not-Chinese church nor a Chinese ministry aimed at older generations or newer immigrants. yup. so now in Vancouver, I'm going to a not-Chinese church on Sunday mornings, and then I'm part of a university-age fellowship at VCAC. I still feel like this is not ideal...but it works for now anyway.

4:10 a.m.  
Blogger Jonathan P said...

Know what you mean Jess. I saw a skit past Sunday and some girl was talking about her girl's cottage, and the other girl in the skit turns to her and says "Your parents have a cottage? What are they, white?"

Lol... but I doubt Few outside of that particular context would actually find that funny or understandable.

10:26 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home