Sunday, September 24, 2006

Confessions of an anti-post evangelical

I've been thinking about the following all day, thus why this particular posting is so long. Props to you if you get through it, just for showing interest in my ramblings. I'd love it if y'all tell me what you think about this particular movement that has emerged (pun COMPLETELY unintended) of the post-evangelical.

Before I get into the meat of this particular blog, I suppose I should probably explain what I mean by anti-post evangelical, because I know that makes me sound all reactive and anti-change etc. I actually find post-evangelical readings quite engaging and very valid (reference Michael Spencer a.k.a Internetmonk or Mark Driscoll or Brain McLaren to a certain extent). What I do tend to sense, however, and I expound on this further in the conclusion of my post, is the hostility that they seem to engender/hold against the "evangelical" church as it is labelled. Now I definately see something wrong with fat cat churches that hoard their material blessings given to them and selfishly spend it only on themselves instead of being good stewards with what God has given them. At the same time, in our rebukes are we being loving? Are we trying to understand the difficulty of moving away from ingrained habits? How hard (and as Calvinists argue impossible) is it to move away from your lifestyle of sin to become a child of God? Have we forgotten that the most basic step to becoming a Christian is one of the most gut-wrenching life changing decisions one will ever make? While (to use some common labels that are floating around) yuppy, pomo young adults (and I speak not of you Lydia Low :) ) are becoming disillusioned with the institutionalization and traditions of the church, I find myself becoming disillusioned with the disillusionment (if that makes any sense at all). Reading all of these "post-evangelical" readings, I read a very interesting comment that someone made asking "What makes you POST evangelical if you're just moving back to the roots of what Christianity was in the first century? Are you simply using the word post because you came from the evangelical group?" I would agree with that for does that mean being an evangelical makes you post-Catholic? Or post-Reformationist? I think not. Now for the main course of this post. (geez... that's a lot of usages of the word POST.)

The church that I've been attending recently went on a retreat this past weekend and invited a pastor by the name of Soong Chan Rah to be the main speaker of the retreat. His credentials are that he founded an inner city church in Cambridge that became hugely involved in the poverty and suffering of the neighbourhood that they planted themselves in, and having a great impact on it. He now goes around the continent speaking about his experiences and the deeper Biblical principles for what they did in Cambridge and how that can be applied in different settings (Young Nak is hardly in the middle of the inner city, more like in the middle of industrial factory land).

I liked his sermon. He preached on Amos 5:18-24 and about the part where Amos goes "Woe on you" to the wealthy and affluent of Isrealite society. It was an interesting application to current immigrant Asian culture and how we spend the material and educational blessings that God has given unto us. Do we use it to glorify God and worship him properly? Do we use it to see justice done here on earth by feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, and sheltering the homeless? And my personal addendum, do we use it to see that those hungry, naked, and homeless also receive nourishment, clothing, and shelter for their spiritual state as well? He argued that most of us don't, that we use this wealth to make an impenetrable bubble that we call the church and ride along until judgment day.

That in and of itself was very interesting (he preached his sermon almost like a university lecture... which was really cool). But what I found even more interesting was the underpinnings of post-evangelicalism that ran through his sermons. In isolation, that was not what was so interesting. What was interesting was that, beginning with this summer and with Les, and with a blog that I read last night (as well as the discussions I've been hearing about the Emergent and the Emerging - there IS apparently a difference - church movements) I've been hearing a lot about this post-evangelical movement. Just last night (or this morning I guess... it was 3 AM) I read this article by a guy calling himself the internet monk. Very interesting read and I didn't entirely disagree with the content of his article. The discussion that follows is even more interesting.

-note... read the article before reading the rest of this post. I don't want to taint your mind with my thoughts before you get a chance to form thoughts of your own. I would also at this time like to give props to Brad and Peter Thurley for slowly but surely guiding me TO the internetmonk. I don't disagree with any of his theology that I've read so far... just his philosophy.-

What I DID find disconcerting about this post was the underpinning of almost hostility that I sensed from this blog. I got the feeling that he was pointing his finger at these rich suburban churches and condeming what they were doing. Maybe he wasn't but that's what it sounded like. Because content wise I don't disagree with him. A $300 ski retreat (and that's US dollars) does seem slightly ridiculous to me... you don't need to spend $300 to talk about extreme discipleship and getting geared up to change the world (although I wonder how much of our summit costs are subsidized... because I may be sticking my foot in my mouth with that :P). But at the same time, it's a huge step of faith for someone to say I'm going to give that up and give that money to a church plant in India, and do it with the right mindset. For the act of giving money to a church plant could very easily just turn into a condescending, "let's help those poor Christians out in India out of the overflow of our wealth." It would be just as bad, in my view, to do that, although the outcome of the 300 dollars spent is most definately quite different.

The challenge that he gives is quite valid, but many people will read that and say "where does he get the authority to challenge my comfort like that?!" for only once does he reference scripture in his post (and that in someone else's quote, so technically he didn't ever quote scripture in his post). When I read that, and in light of the sermon that I heard today, I thought of the rich young prince that approached Jesus and asked him what he needed to do to gain eternal life. Jesus answers him, "You know the commandments, follow them." The rich young man responds, "All these I have kept since I was a boy, but what do I still lack?" (acc. to Matthew.) And according to Mark Jesus goes straight into "One thing you lack, that you sell everything you have, give to the poor and you will have treasures in heaven. T hen come, follow me." But before Jesus said this, Mark says that Jesus "looked at him and loved him"(emphasis added) [Mark 10:17-21; Matthew 19:16-21]. How many of these people that condemn that rich young man for being unable to sell all his possessions and give to the poor do so as they love him. How many of these rebuking comments towards the rich fat cat church that has developed in much of North America do so in love. I wonder.

--addendum--
A thought occured to me today. Though a very gross generalization, it does hold true in most cases. I was talking about my mother with one thing, and the idea of likes being able to identify and speak to each other came up. She made the point that rich people won't really listen to the Gospel when it comes from some homeless poor persons mouth, but will be more likely to listen to another person from the same community. Likewise, the poor person living in the inner city is less likely to listen to that "high brow religion" of them "rich white folk." They will listen to either someone that they can identify with, or someone they feel will listen to them. It's the concept of being all people to all people (or something like that). A suburban evangelical isn't going to change the mind of a "post-evangelical," and neither is the post-evangelical going to change the mind of the evangelical, as long as neither is willing to come to the same level and genuinely talk to each other.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't get too distracted by all this John. stay focused on what is immediate, realivant and appearent. there is too much urgent work at hand for us to get caught up in semantics and abstacts, which is all this really is. if only all Christians had more ideological integrety none of this muck would be getting discussed. and all this really is is muck

11:59 p.m.  
Blogger lowonthego said...

mark driscoll is not post-evangelical.

10:58 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem I have with arguments of this sort - the weaker brother argument is another one - is that they are both very easy to make and very hard to defend against. Especially given an initial instinctive association with love and some kind of emotional response. Whilst I'm not necessarily claiming you are insincere, I would however suggest that it would be less easy to name exactly what demonstrates an 'un-loving attitude' in the actions of the named individuals.

Evangelicalism tends to take a fairly low view of the intellectual and partly as a result has no real model for handling internal critique - typically differences are handled by schism or acceptance. I would suggest that some of what so-called 'post evangelicals' say comes very much at the tail end of years of dialogue during which the excesses of evangelicalism have forced them to adopt the model of Paul in Galatians 1 in dealing with what they see as 'another gospel'.

In many cases, of course, they are absolutely right to hold that view. It is also instructive to note that many of them are from the US - where the secularisation of evangelical culture seems to have gone much further than elsewhere [for the record I live in the UK].

Of course, history suggests that they will be ignored. The standard response of evangelicalism to such dialogues and critiques has always been reactionary.

As for the actual term 'post evangelical', whilst I wouldn't apply it to myself, I can see the value of a new term; it allows self definition, doesn't imply a previous model of dealing with society and doesn't imply a previous context as the usage of an older term would.

Finally, there is a grain of truth to the *other* conclusion to your final paragraph, even if it could be used to justify greater and greater extravagances, on the basis of identification with a hypothetical richer man that needs to be saved. It's instructive to see how Paul's 'being Greek to the Greeks' played out in Athens, whilst praising some of their virtues, he praised none of their idols, and ultimately his call was a challenge to their lifestyle. I believe that many of the 'post evangelicals' see their critiques of the state of contemporary evangelicalism in a similar way.

11:34 a.m.  
Blogger Jonathan P said...

Ryan: Wise words Ryan. Wise indeed. I would argue, however, that there is truth in this muck... it just often gets packaged in such a way that makes it off key.

Lydia: He's not? Hmmm... i'm goign to have to borrow Josh's copy of a Reformissionist pastor then.

Chris: Do I know you from somewhere Chris? If not, I'm thrilled that other people are reading my blog. thrilled indeed.

Chris, in response to your comments about saying things in love, I would disagree that it is a hard argument to defend. Why? Because it comes straight out of the Bible. I give you 1 Corinthians 13 (perhaps the most quoted chapter on love). If I condemn my brother out of disgust with what he's doing out of a personal reason, then it's horribly wrong of me, but if I rebuke him and tell him what he is doing is wrong because I love him that is entirely different. Now if Michael Spencer in his post was genuinely challenging his readers to consider that perhaps there is a better use of our money with the desire to see them grow, then all for it. But there are few people that can make such comments without deep seated bitterness/resentment/dislike. Do you see where I'm going with that?

As for the bit about dealing with internal critique, I have nothing to say against that. Having grown up in the Korean church, I've seen enough schisms (and incredibly painful and scarrings ones) to last me multiple lifetimes. It is a sad truth. However, I would argue that at the same time it would be dangerous to change doctrinal views we have too quickly, especially if we are being asked to change those views based on philosophical and human knowledge instead of proper understandings of Scripture.

That is an excellent point you make about much of the post-evangelical movement taking place in the US. I'd vaguely thought about that at the back of my mind, but your mentioning it does put a new light on the things I mention here.

As for the use of the word "post-evangelical", if my understanding of what you are saying is correct, then it seems that you are saying that it gives them a fresh slate to start from? I would argue that it does not. By saying they are "post" something, they are actually framing themselves entirely in reference to the context from whence they came. It would imply that they find themselves at odds with the standard evangelical ways of looking at things.

I'll have to agree with your last paragraph. The pastor of the church that I used to attend gave a sermon about Jesus talking with Peter and asking him three times whether he loved him. The sermon didn't focus on that particular event, however, but considered Peter's life as a whole. Peter went from denying Christ three times, to becoming the leader of the Church in the 1st century. Jesus came down to Peter's level (if you're familiar with the greek in that passage about the different uses of the word love) but refused to leave him there but lifted him up. And I believe that it is true that the post evangelicals probably think that. But until we shed our preconceptions of "those rich prosperity gospel evangelicals" vs. "those crazy radical post evangelicals", no talking will get done I'm afraid.

12:27 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello jonathan - No, i just arrived down a tube from technorati, but it is nice to be here and engage.

Yes 1 Corinthians 13 is certainly apposite in this context, in dealing with internal attitudes that lead to external behaviour and keeping it in mind will help each of us defend ourselves against unloving behaviour. However my point was slightly different and you make it for me when you say 'But there are few people that can make such comments without deep seated bitterness/resentment/dislike'. It can be enough difficult to pick up context in person, and even more so when you only know someone via their writings. So how do the named examples defend themselves against such a charge from other people? After all it could be a 'deep seated bitterness that they are working very hard to hide', sometimes it will be obvious from language, sometimes it won't be, sometimes it will seem to be but won't be. I'm sure you get my drift - such is the problem with specific examples. ["You, X, are unloving" "Umm.."]

Yes, I think innovation in doctrine should not be accepted at face value or done for the sake of itself, however it is important to keep in mind that the current expression of the evangelical identity didn't arrive whole cloth. To a large extent the gospel of 'a good life through jesus' pushed by a lot of evangelicalism in the US is a syncretic adaptation to a culture of consumerism that has no Biblical support. To that extent the critiques are really addresed at stopping harmful behaviour - like Paul speaking against visits to temple prostitutes by members of the Church in Corinth.

Reiterating, I think - from observation - that the church in the US is further down the road in this area than elsewhere - it's amazing the amount of material that gets put out without any challenge of any sort. Which is not to say that we in the UK don't have our own problems.

Yes - i would suspect a lot of them do find themselves at odds with some of the things that are mainstream in evangelicalism - post doesn't necessarily mean a negation of everything else, after all.

I agree with what you are saying in the last paragraph there needs to be more dialogue - but I suspect that in much of evangelicalism a model for dialogue will have to be created first [it's the Mark Noll problem].

Peace

3:00 p.m.  
Blogger Jonathan P said...

I see what you're saying about the love thing. So the argument is more along the lines that there is very little objective evidence for one to rebuke another on that argument?

And what exactly do you mean by the Mark Noll problem?

Ha, at the same time I think this discussion is straying from the topic of the main post somewhat. I'd love to continue this chat via email. (koreanpride.rage@gmail.com)

1:23 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonathan - You have (had) mail.

7:51 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:56 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:52 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:55 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:59 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:01 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:27 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:17 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:19 a.m.  
Blogger Walter Mitty said...

I personally struggle with the idea of being post-evangelical almost as much as the concept of evangelical. When i hear the PE it makes me thing of a bunch of hippy type Christians meeting in a 60's era movie theater playing worship songs no one has ever heard before on out of tune guitars while a girl in a flowing white dress dances around with flowers in her hair. I could certainly be wrong but that's my picture.

I still haven't found anything that will return my belief. Honestly if not for my family I would be going to a Catholic church so i could get some sense of reverence is a sacred place.

I have a have a new blog and I’m very new, but I write about my experiences as a Pastor and Christian and my subsequent questions of faith. I honestly would welcome discussion and comments. http://belieflost.blogspot.com/

3:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

6:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home