Saturday, October 07, 2006

The Master Plan of Evangelism

Now that I look at that title again, I realize that not only is it the truth, but it is such an amazing pun, seeing as how Robert E. Coleman keeps on calling Jesus "the Master." Hehe...

I've been delinquent in my readings on this book, but I decided that it might be a good idea, seeing as how I'm studying it. After reading the first three chapters, it's like a light went off in my head. Robert Coleman talks about three things in those three chapters: he talks about selection, he talks about association, and he talks about consecration. The selection chapter was pretty straight forward, though I did wonder about how we can be as selfless as Christ in the greater motivation of discipling men (and women) who will continue to work for the larger goal of salvation. How do I do that without making it look like favoritism, for I am not Christ.

And when I initially heard the association part, I was very confused. How was I supposed to take all that time to spend with the guys in our discipleship group, being with them, demonstrating spiritual leadership and principles to them, while stil having a life of my own. But I realized that I was asking the wrong question, for the principle of association is not that of a discipler associating with his disciple (in this modern time of Jesus not being physically present with us on earth) but it is that of the discipler showing the disciple that he must be in constant association with CHRIST, not me. How foolish it was of me to think that was what Coleman was even suggesting. I pray that Christ may live through me such that I may be able to point those that I disciple to the ultimate discipler, Jesus Christ. That I would be so full of the Holy Spirit, that, as it says in 1 Peter, every word that comes from my mouth will be of God and every action that comes from me may be from the strength that God provides.

The third chapter on consecration hit me like a ton of bricks. Jesus called those who were obedient to him, and those who were not willing to accept the terms of his discipleship were left to leave him as they would. Jesus had no time for disciples that would not give their all for him. The question is, do I give my all for Christ? Am I worthy of Christ's time in that I am taking up my cross and truly following him? How can I know this if I'm not even sure of what it means in my particular circumstance to take up my cross and follow him? Is there more to what I need to be doing at this present moment, or is it enough.

Now far be it from me to suggest that my actions could do anything to save me; that is not my intended implication at all by the above paragraph. Instead what I wonder is if God were to take an account of the things that he asks of me, whether he would say "Well done, good and faithful servant," or would he embrace me and say that I'm still his Son. Though both are desirable, clearly the former of having run the good race and done all I could for the LORD is the thing that I desire most of all. How do I know if I'm am being fully obedient to the LORD? I guess I could start by getting on the ball with the discipleship group that has been entrusted unto me and I pray that the LORD will reveal the rest in his good time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

dude, i have thumbed through this book a hundred times and still have not read it. I appreciate you comments and really want to read this classic. I will let you know more after i read it.
peace
Andy kerr

11:14 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home