Sunday, October 29, 2006

Kids... love em or hate em?

Once again, I was reminded of my incredibly volatile and easily triggered temper today at work. It was a particularly bad day.

Still recovering from my sickness, my nose is really stuffed... and I think I have a post nasal drip problem. That, in combination with the fact that I'm always projecting my voice at work thus drying it out, caused me to almost choke on my own snot three times today. That was quite unpleasant, to understate to the max.

And then there was this one particular group of kids that just wouldn't settle down. On top of the fact that we were already 5 minutes behind, I was getting stressed out trying to get the kids to settle down. I was so close to flipping out and telling them all to "shut the f&*^ up!" Of course that would have been horrible (not to mention probably would have ruined some little girl's birthday party)... so I was able to calm myself down enough to grit out the rest of my briefing and then get them in so that I wouldn't have to deal with them.

I mean... I know that I got a bad temper and all... but does something have to come along to remind me every other day that I do. It's mildly frustrating... seeing as how today was Sunday and all too.

On that... my work hired three new staff and therefore my labour is no longer required on Sunday. Very glad that's over with.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rainbow Choi =) said...

sorry to hear about the sickness & noncompliant kids jon... what do you do again?? i love kids... all the times they're cute and random and hilarious makes up for the times you want to rope em up so they'll sit still for 2 minutes... i used to do birthday parties at Gymboree, i really kinda miss it... if i had time id totally do it still

things you could try... (and im sure chara's got way more!)

-"hands on your head and eyes on me when you're listening"
-"i need everyone to put their listening ears on!"
-"i'd love to do ___insert fun activity here___ but we gotta wait til everyone's listening... sarah's got her listening ears on... michael's got his listening ears on..." etc til everyone's listening
- teach the kids to respond to "captain's coming!" (you salut) by yelling "aye aye captain!" with a salut. that one kept masses of crazy kids at my church summer camps in check... !! haha...

anyways. good luck, let us know how it goes!

2:28 a.m.  
Blogger Ryan Lawrence said...

i like kids personally, or at least i want a few of my own. i think where kids can become a pain largely has to do with how their parents rasie them. a kid that is raised witout discipline can be hard to handle. but try and remember that to a certain extent its not the kids fault. trouble makers are the ones who need the most help. but yeah, they can push your buttons

8:33 a.m.  
Blogger Jonathan P said...

Rainbow: Usually, I love kids too... yesterday was just bad :(
Haha! Some GREAT suggestions, though I actually work at Laserquest... so most of the time I don't actually know who these kids are or what they're names are. But I like the listening ears idea. I'll have to try it.

Ryan: Yeah.. your probably right dude. Well, I really only have to deal with them 20 minutes at a time, so I guess I can handle it.

10:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home