Monday, October 30, 2006

Another first... and an amazingly good one

For the first time in 20 years, I finally got somewhere productive in a "talk" with my dad. Previous to last night, our "discussions" would always degenerate into me storming out of the apartment and seething in the night for about half an hour and then returning firmer in my decision to never talk anything serious with him ever again.

Last night looked to be shaping out to much the same... but it didn't. After an hour, we were finally able to sort out the last six months of fighting and clash in particular. There was a particular thing that my dad did that would always start to annoy me, and then I would just shut down for the rest of the discussion and we would move nowhere, even if he was right (which I have to admit, he usually was.)

The discussion began when he brought up this past week where my system crashed and burned because I hadn't used my time wisely. He pointed out that it was most likely because of the fact that I was being incredibly undisciplined in terms of my school work and such. I didn't disagree. He's absolutely right. Where it looked like the discussion was going to break down, however, was when he started repeating some of the examples and points that he said (a particular habit that he has). When I tried to stop him, he started down the path of "there you go not listening to me again." Things got tense... but it defused and we were able to move on to what we were going to do about it... something that I wnated to get to the whole time, but that he thought that I was not willing to listen to.

In the end, it turned out to be that we were always defining the terms of the discussion completely differently. It's not that we weren't on the same page, we were in totally different books in different languages, but I don't think that was the main problem.

The main problem was that I had finally decided that, even if my dad had something good to say, he never said it right so I didn't want to hear it. I had resolved that if he couldn't get to the point and bring up some suggestions about the problem that he was raising within 15 minutes, that he was wasting my time. Maybe he was... but I was severely disobeying the Bible's command to honour my parents by even thinking along such lines.

The Bible says "Honour your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land that the LORD is giving you." (Exodus 20:12). It also says in Psalm 118:35-36, "Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight. Turn my heart towards your statues and not towards selfish gain." For the past year, I have definately not been directed in the path of this particular command, but have turned my heart away from my father, and therefore God, and towards my own selfish desires. This may definately explain the severe lack of joy in my walk with God, and the frustration when I find myself trying to live in his Word day-by-day; this huge underlying attitudinal (probably not a word, but I don't care) problem was undermining everything else. If you could pray that God would continue to work within me, "transforming me by the renewal of my mind," (Romans 12:2) so that I might become a satisifed and frutiful child of God, and that I might be able to lead others to satifaction and fruition.

As Andrew said last week after we went sharing, "It feels good to be obedient." And how...

2 Comments:

Blogger Brad Stewart said...

Bro, that's great to hear! Please, keep me updated on how it's going. Maybe I should give you a call some time...

10:43 p.m.  
Blogger jelibeenz said...

that's awesome! I just had a conversation with a friend on Friday and we both said that we are starting to have good worthwhile conversations with our dads as well. I'm so glad to hear that God is maturing us all in this way! :)

1:25 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home