Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Spiderman 3

I saw it on Monday.

Either one of two things happened. Everyone that told me it was terrible was wrong, or they so lowered my expectations that I enjoyed it. *shrug*

Randomly... best line of the movie was when Peter Parker's landlord was attempting to give him relational advice. "You're good women, I'm good man." *shrug* >_>

But what I really liked about the movie was, as Brad pointed out to me last summer with the previous two Spiderman movies, was the deep spiritual connotations within the overall message. Though I think the creators meant it in a more humanistic sense, the line about how nothing is decided and that we are our choices was, I found, particularly striking. Since many of you that will read this may not have seen the movie, I'm not going to go into any particulars; but the general principle of the matter I drew from it is that before we become Christians, we have two choices - we can choose to fulfill our created purpose and renew our relationship with God, or we can walk away from that (Calvinism/Armenianism debate aside). Once we become Christ followers, then we can choose to be obedient and show that we have truly been transformed, or we can be disobedient and go through the testing flames and come out as one just escaping from the fire with nothing but our lives at the end. On our end and in our perspective, none of that is decided. The choice is ours whether we live our life to the fullest and come to the end of life saying, "Praise be to the LORD for the full life that I have had the glorious blessing to live out" or whether we come to the final moment, straining to go back, begging for one more chance as we lament "Oh LORD, how I have wasted it... the precious life you gave to me."

The choice is before us, those of us whom are still young with our whole lives ahead of us. Let us live life to the fullest, desiring the enjoyment and therefore glorification of God above life's blessings and gifts, and ultimately, desiring him above life itself - and being an example to others around us of the joy that such a life brings. But at the same time, let us be weary of making the terms happiness and joy interchangeable, for though we may not always be happy by the worldly definition, let us be forever content and joyful in Christ, the only one that can completely fulfill the deepest desire of our heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home