Sunday, July 30, 2006

So I was reading the other day...

And now this might seem to be like, "yah whatever." But tell you the truth, I haven't sat down and read in so long I've almost forgotten how to do it. I kid you not.

But that's not what's important. I'm currently reading a book called The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis. I would like to preface by saying, C.S. Lewis is a GENIUS! His logic just runs circles around every argument that I try to bring up against him. I guess the only problem with the things that he talks about is that these discussions are not merely logical discussions but very emotional and experiential discussions as well (which is why we will be arguing and debating such things to the end of time no matter how logically air tight one makes their arguments. People are pretty stubborn once they've made their mind up about something.)

The thing that I find really weird about all this, however, is not that I'm reading... but that I'm reading non-fiction and highly enjoying it. I remember a time when I would abhor having to read non-fiction because it was boring and unimaginitive and so adultish. I would stick to my fictions... then as I started growing older, I started finding the quality of adult fiction is so much lower than children's fiction. When one was in the 2nd grade, you had an infinite number of choices to make on good fiction that one could read. You could very literally go up to the shelf, randomly select a book and chances are it would be pretty good. But I've been trying to do that with adult fiction for the past 5 or 6 years now and it just isn't working out the same way. Led me to the realization that this is probably why you see adults reading more non-fiction than children (argument that adult's minds are more mature and developped not withstanding. Give me a child's imagination over an adult's mature and developped mind anyday).And yet the funny thing about all of the above is that pretty much all of children's fiction is written not by children, but by adults. So here's a wish that I devoutly hold, that those adults would sink from the heavenly paradise of children's literature once in a while to write to us older audiences. I want edifying good fiction! Hey if anyone knows any good books that I should read, let me know. As soon as I get home, I'm starting up on Harry Turtledove.

And if you've tried to post a comment before and it didn't work... I realized just today that I had restricted commenting abilities to logged in users only. My apologies to you all. Knock yourself out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brad Stewart said...

The book I recommend, which is the same book I recommend to everybody, is Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. Best novel I have ever read, hands down.

4:09 p.m.  
Blogger Jonathan P said...

Ooo... right, I need to put that down on the list. Although I'm assuming that's going to take me AT least two weeks to read it being by Tolstoy and all...

4:32 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have read that book, if you can even believe it? ;) ---hannah

1:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home