Saturday, February 10, 2007

Fame: All it's cracked up to be?

In the past few months (as hockey season was just starting to get exciting with first the Leafs and then the Habs going on downhill slides that eventually ended their seasons) I began to think about my life, specifically what I've accomplished. I then began to compare myself with those with immense amounts of fame and fortune, names that are talked about all the time. Now I'm not talking here about famous actors/actresses that have been around for ages or what not. More specifically I got to thinking about people like Alexander Ovechkin or Sydney Crosby - people who aren't that much older or younger than I am. S'matter of fact, Sydeney Crosby, at 19 years old, is one of the main reasons that the Pittsburgh Penguins landed fourth seed this season to face the Ottawa Senators in round one of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

I began to ask myself, what have I done that is worthy of note? If a reporter were to come up to me for an exclusive interview, what would I be able to say that I've done. The answer was that I've done nothing that would catch the public eye. But then I began to consider, but who cares? What does any of that really matter? This however lead to a deeper question that did begin to concern me, although I (shamefully) admit I never acted on it. The question was as follows: If God were to come to me and ask me for an exclusive interview, what would I say that I had done. I would have to hang my head, look at my toes and respond, "I don't know."

Maybe I'm not being fair to myself. I've gone sharing (whenever it was suggested, rarely on my own initiative), I've had my fair share of time to build into young lives - encourage them, challenge them, and in some cases see them step up into roles of leadership. Maybe something's happened. But these past two years I've been incredibly unfaithful to the Great Commission. I haven't taken the time to go sharing, not only myself but with the guys in my discipleship group. I haven't taken the time to have one-on-one discipleship sessions with said same guys. The way I see it, the LORD has entrusted me to these things for this short time, and I have not been faithful... and if I can't be faithful with even 6 men, how can I be trusted with more.

It's a sobering thought, one with which I have not yet fully come to grips. And as always, I find it difficult to figure out how to end this. This will be as good an ending as any. Forgive me, I should be studying for a calculus exam that will be happening in approximately 12.5 hours.

--
In Addendum:
If your wondering how I knew that Pittsburgh seeded fourth back in February 10, the simple answer is that I didn't. I started writing this blog back then, but never finished. This was actually written on April 12, 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home